Saturday, April 9, 2011

a little green onion tip...

see these green onions? I've got a tip for you!

instead of dicing them, I use kitchen shears to cut them...


so much neater and faster...see how pretty and uniform?but that's not the tip...not the REAL tip....



here's the tip...

If needed, when we move, I buy 1-2 packs of green onions for 33 cents. 
(Sometimes I take them with me!)


After cutting off the green part, I plant the little white bulbs with the roots. They'll start growing immediately and you can harvest them once they get long enough again.

The corner on my patio keeps the wind from breaking the sprouts and protects them from freezing temps. They haven't died yet and we've been here 4 years now.



Here they are...along with tarragon, oregano and baby lettuce just starting to grow...all thrown together right outside my patio door within easy reach.....


so what are you waiting for?

4 comments:

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Great tips (and non tips)!

I've bought herb plants before and was surprised at how fast they grow and spread out. The more you cut them back the faster they grow.

jillytacy said...

Good gardening advice. I tend to kill most of my plants that aren't hardy perennials. Every year I think about planting a little herb garden in a planter but I haven't done one yet. Maybe this year. It's still too cold here to put plants outside.

Rhonda said...

Great tip. I'm glad that I know someone else who uses planters to do a little gardening. I have several planters in my bigger garden filled with onions, a couple of squash plants and some bell peppers. My neighbor thinks I'm nuts for doing that with all the earth to use but I like have a "back-up" ..... LOL

Debbie M said...

how many times can you cut the greens off

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...