Monday, August 12, 2013

Thinking of daddy......

 Every time I see a bird, I think of daddy, hummingbirds especially.

We had a ritual.  Every spring we would call to see who had the "first" hummingbird sighting.  Whoever made the call won!  Every fall we would call to see who had the "last" hummingbird sighting.
Then we would talk about who had more hummingbirds overall. Sometimes he did, sometimes I did.  It always seemed to depend on who had more storms roll through.  

We would compare notes on feeding, on which types of hummers were visiting....on how many were present.   The conversations would then flow into all the other birds that were migrating through our respective yards.  On this, daddy ALWAYS won!   His yard is like a respite for migratory birds.  Plenty of feeders and birdbaths... and not a cat in sight.
These were conversations that I will always remember....maybe not the exact words, but the sentiment.

Friday night, Dean came home with a gift for me.  It was from a client's wife.  We had become friends during the Cancun trip.  She knew about daddy's passing and sent this to me with a note:  "Look at this bird in memory of your dear dad."



I don't know how she remembered that daddy and I shared a love for birds.  I know we talked about our families but I doubt it was our main topic of conversation.  I am truly touched by this sweet gesture.

I've been carrying this bird around the house trying to find the perfect place for it so I can see it constantly. It is the perfect reminder of something daddy used to say to me. "Be gentle with nature Valerie, it is a gift and we mustn't spoil it."

"But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint." Isaiah 40:31

5 comments:

Quiltingranny said...

So beautiful. Those little hummers are such a source of joy for our family and the kids! What an amazing gift!

Kerry said...

A really precious gift.

mysteryhistorymom said...

What a precious gift. Thank you so much for sharing these sweet memories, Val. I know I would have absolutely loved your Dad. He lives on in you.:) Lori

Shawnee said...

That is so special. I'm so sorry for your loss, Val. What a great visual reminder of your sweet daddy.

jillytacy said...

This is so sweet! What a beautiful reminder of your dad.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...