Friday, November 29, 2013

Another year...



Another year has passed since our yearly donation to the local pet shelter.   I swear, it gets harder for me each year.   These poor animals are simply cast offs in our disposable society.   Yet, there they were happy to see us.  Eagerly wagging tails and begging to be pet, some barking, some shivering.  The cats purring and playing and meowing, rubbing themselves against their cages.   

Even though our animal rescue is a small affair, they manage to keep most animals until placed.  One dog has been there since he was a puppy, about 7 months.  He is cute and sweet but average looking.  Just another mid sized black dog in a sea of them.  Heart breaking.  I always cry when we visit the dogs while Kaela always cries when we visit the cats. 

I managed to make 22 pet beds this year while Kaela made several cat toys.   


When we were picking up all the food and litter, a lady and her daughter exclaimed "WOW, You must have a lot of pets!"   I explained that we were taking it all to the animal shelter.  She asked how long I'd been doing it and when I told her, her eyes filled with tears and she shoved a 5 dollar bill in my hand, asking me to put it toward something for the animals.   I told her we couldn't take her money at which point her daughter said it would make her day.  So, we bought some extra treats with it. 

It was a bittersweet morning but we left knowing that we did some good.   If anyone has old yarn they would like to donate, I'll email you my address and you can mail it to me.  I start making the beds starting in January and aim for 2 dozen.  I use any kind of yarn although the thicker the better.  I like the cheap stuff as it holds up better. 
For anyone who'd like to do some for their own pet shelter, here is the link to my pattern.  I crochet holding 3 strands together to make it soft and thick. If you are making them for a dog, just make them a bit bigger.  Recently our local shelter started using wooden pallets to keep the dogs off the concrete and then they put the beds on top of the pallets.  

2 comments:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

It is heartbreaking to know that these animals just want to be loved and they have to be stuck in a shelter, which I guess is better than the streets, but still ... if everyone would just adopt it sure would help out the situation. I wish they'd stop letting people breed for profit. We've come to a point in time where animals or only raised for their cash value. I find it rather despicable that they are treated as merchandise rather than loving, caring, loyal creatures. Hope all is well with all of you. Busy days here. Hugs, Tammy

jillytacy said...

That is sad! But it's wonderful that you and Kaelya help out each year. I'll look through my yarn and see what we have to share.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...