Friday, November 15, 2013

soon to be salad...

Dean and I worked in the yard last weekend and spent some time redoing the small veggie garden.  Some of our summer plantings had sprouted babies.  I hated pulling them up but they took up valuable space and I knew they'd never produce anything.
I had to clear out 3 large basil plants that had gone to seed.  I seriously doubt I'll have to plant any next summer.  I did leave 2 babies that sprouted, just enough for salads and such til the first frost. 

We pulled up the chicken wire (aka squirrel deterrent) then weeded the whole thing.  I planted arugula, spinach, and some lettuces.
I also put out some leeks, carrots and brocolli....never done those before....we'll see how it goes.  
Dean put up some bird netting this time.  The chicken wire was a pain to deal with....hope the netting is better.







The plants perked up nicely after a little watering and pretty soon, the entire garden will be crowded.

1 comment:

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Yummy, yummy! I have tomato plants that have grown a foot since we planted them. They are just starting to flower. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...