Saturday, May 3, 2014

21 Days Without Worry

This past week at work has been interesting.  I thought I had a bad case of bug bites but then someone at work said it looked like I had chicken pox so I was freaking out. (more on that later)
The next day I went to the doctor.  He said, "Luckily you just got into poison ivy."  He followed that with, "Too bad you are so allergic to it."

So now I am covered in calamine and my ENTIRE family runs from me.  Kaela touched my arm today and actually screamed.  A large part of the rash is on the underside of my arms so Dean calls me "The Creeper" because I have to let the lotion dry with my arms in the air...and when I walk by he says "coin, coin!"







I have gross blisters and stuff and am very uncomfortable with itchy, weepy, stingy skin.  That being said, I haven't gotten to do any fun crafty stuff.   

Okay, back to the point of this post.   Earlier in the week when I thought I had chicken pox, I  was freaking out because a co- worker is pregnant, and we had just talked and chicken pox is highly contagious and deadly to unborn babies and she already had a high risk pregnancy with TWINS and I have to warn her and oh my gosh she is now in the hospital on bed rest and, and, and.......see how easily it spins out of control?  All at once worry was controlling my thoughts and I wasn't even sure I HAD chicken pox. (yes, you CAN get them twice, it is just rare.)

It was then that I realized for the umpteenth time that I am a HUGE worry wart.  And it has gotten worse.  In fact, over the last several months, it has grown to EPIC proportions....but I won't bore you with the details.   

Instead I'll share what I've decided to do about it.

I am going to try something to rid myself of this bad habit and any of you other worry warts out there are invited to join me. (Please, oh, please tell me I'm not the only one with this problem.)

Starting this past Monday and for a total of 21 days I am going to practice being worry free.   In my planner I have cut and stapled scripture to every day for the next 21 days.    Here is the place I found the verses.  I cut out the ones I felt would apply to me and had plenty left to keep going for a total of 50 days.  

I have the one below taped to my computer screen at work.  I love it.  I could say it was my favorite but then I'd find another I liked better so I'll just say I really like it!  


"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."  Phil 4:6

I look at it this way, even if I can't stop myself from worrying about certain things, I'll worry LESS overall.   



In short, by trusting in Him as I should, I will lessen my own anxiety.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Oh you poor dear! That really stinks. I hope you get over the poison ivy soon.
I'm a huge worrier too. I worry about everything, which is stupid, because I also know God's in control. I've always tried to remind myself about Matthew 6:27: "Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?" Good luck with your journey; I'll be praying for you :-)

gilly said...

Aw, hope you get better soon - boo hiss for poison ivy!
And I'm a worry wart too - and I have a little note on my bedside table with Phillipians 4:6-7 written out too as a constant reminder and reassurance! It is one of my favourite scriptures too :-)
Love & hugs & hope you have a happy Sunday,
Xxx

jillytacy said...

I hope you are feeling a little better today.
I'm a worrier too, so you're not alone. I hope your worries become less over the next 21 days.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...