Tuesday, June 24, 2014

of weeding and water...

Mornings are the best time to weed......the sun isn't high yet.  Sometimes I'll get lucky and there will be a small sprinkle to keep me from getting too hot mid morning.




I put on my hat and gloves and grab my stool....off I go, to visit with my little toady friends.



picking and pulling my way through the beds....sometimes I strip something.  

That lemon thyme on the left?  Yep, I hated to do it but pulled out a third of it.  There was a dead woody spot smack in the middle that just had to go.  No worries, it still looks and smells lovely....especially when stepped on.  



Sometimes I have to push things aside and pull from waaaay underneath....and sometimes, I have to cut around King Toad so he can be visible again.



With the lovely weather comes the torpedo grass.  NOTHING can stop it.  It shoots straight up through 2 layers of weed liner like butter.  I pulled a piece that was shimming up the edge of the fence...it was 4 feet long.
The best defense (in my humble opinion) is to plant close together and choke it out.  Like this Hawthorne where Benjamin lives.  
He happily holds a bit of water for the lizards and butterflies that visit....



The birdbath accommodates the birds....entire families convene.  Loudly fussing at me as I weed, disturbing their bath time.



even the mailbox needed a bit of weeding...



after three days and 3 hours each, success....



I'd like to say I hate weeding.  But I don't.  I hate getting started  but once the first day is behind me, I look forward to the time alone, just picking and pulling and thinking my way through the morning.  The front and side are done, tomorrow I start on the back....

4 comments:

gilly said...

Please, oh please could you come over and weed my garden? I really don't enjoy weeding at the best of times, but right now my hayfever is so bad I can't get out into the garden and the horrible bindweed is threateningly big!
Your garden looks fab, well done.
Have a happy day,
xx

jillytacy said...

Your gardens and yard are beautiful. I love the little ornaments you have tucked in everywhere. Weeding takes forever and just seems unending.

Jody said...

I'd love to have gardens to weed!! However, I must say my peonies and Bleeding heart are fabulous!!

Kerry said...

Looking gorgeous .... I agree with Jill - the little characters nestled in their special spots are enchanting :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...